Monday, April 19, 2004
Anyone who’s moved from Podunk, USA to New York City knows the value of good housing. Rather, they know how the value of good housing increases tenfold within the bounds of Manhattan. The same apartment set in Greenwich Village vs. Greenville, NC would have a price difference of at least $2000. This truth makes very clear to me another truth–that worth is not inherent, but ascribed.
In Baz Luhrmann’s 2001 film, "Moulin Rouge," the leading lady, Satine, grapples with her own self-worth. A late 19th century French courtesan and the star of the Moulin Rouge, Satine has come to define her value by the going rate for a night with her, a perception perpetuated (if not propagated) by Harold Zidler, the owner of the nightclub. But through a relationship with a young passionate poet, Christian, Satine comes to understand that she is worth far more than rubies as she begins to believe in the worth that he ascribes to her by his love rather than the worth credited to her by her employer, Zidler.
In one scene, the lovers have resolved to run away together–away from the pressures of Zidler and the Duke (who is not-so-gallantly vying for Satine’s affection), away from Satine’s current lifestyle, away from the Moulin Rouge. As she hurriedly packs her belongings, Satine is interrupted by Zidler, who has come to persuade her to stay by telling her that unless she succumbs to him, the Duke will kill Christian. In a rage of truth and a brume of tears, Satine shouts at Zidler, “All my life, you’ve made me believe I was only worth what someone would pay for me! But Christian loves me. He LOVES me!”
Likewise we endure a daily barrage of worth-ascriptions that change according to circumstance. Our value teeters precariously on the weekly trends, and we scrap frantically to keep up with the times. The world says to us, “Your worth increases with looks, intelligence, talent, etc, but if you’re not up to snuff, you’re not worth the fulfillment you desire.” Satan says to us, “You are a sinner, and you know it. The Bible even says so. You don’t deserve God. You’re not worth it. You never will be” (see Romans 7:8).
Oh, but God says to us, “I love you. I LOVE you! I sent my only Son to give His life for you, and it was worth it to me. You were worth it to me. Are you going to accept the worth that the world gives you and never be good enough, or will you accept the worth I see you as having and never stop receiving blessings? You are worth everything to me, and I have made you worthy to receive everything I want to give you" (see John 3:16, Romans 5:8, Colossians 1:12, Revelation 19:7-8).
In Baz Luhrmann’s 2001 film, "Moulin Rouge," the leading lady, Satine, grapples with her own self-worth. A late 19th century French courtesan and the star of the Moulin Rouge, Satine has come to define her value by the going rate for a night with her, a perception perpetuated (if not propagated) by Harold Zidler, the owner of the nightclub. But through a relationship with a young passionate poet, Christian, Satine comes to understand that she is worth far more than rubies as she begins to believe in the worth that he ascribes to her by his love rather than the worth credited to her by her employer, Zidler.
In one scene, the lovers have resolved to run away together–away from the pressures of Zidler and the Duke (who is not-so-gallantly vying for Satine’s affection), away from Satine’s current lifestyle, away from the Moulin Rouge. As she hurriedly packs her belongings, Satine is interrupted by Zidler, who has come to persuade her to stay by telling her that unless she succumbs to him, the Duke will kill Christian. In a rage of truth and a brume of tears, Satine shouts at Zidler, “All my life, you’ve made me believe I was only worth what someone would pay for me! But Christian loves me. He LOVES me!”
Likewise we endure a daily barrage of worth-ascriptions that change according to circumstance. Our value teeters precariously on the weekly trends, and we scrap frantically to keep up with the times. The world says to us, “Your worth increases with looks, intelligence, talent, etc, but if you’re not up to snuff, you’re not worth the fulfillment you desire.” Satan says to us, “You are a sinner, and you know it. The Bible even says so. You don’t deserve God. You’re not worth it. You never will be” (see Romans 7:8).
Oh, but God says to us, “I love you. I LOVE you! I sent my only Son to give His life for you, and it was worth it to me. You were worth it to me. Are you going to accept the worth that the world gives you and never be good enough, or will you accept the worth I see you as having and never stop receiving blessings? You are worth everything to me, and I have made you worthy to receive everything I want to give you" (see John 3:16, Romans 5:8, Colossians 1:12, Revelation 19:7-8).
0 comments:
Post a Comment