Wednesday, May 25, 2005

God Bless America (for stealing another TV show from the motherland)

I was watching "The Contender" the other night. I know what you're thinking: "You? Watching the boxing show? Riiiiiiight." It was the show that came in the clearest on the five channels I get in the shed. And this post is not about "The Contender," but a side note on it is in order: If real boxing were dramatized a bit with a moving soundtrack and some parts in slow motion, and if the fighters' families' comments and cheers could be heard, and if the whole fight were reduced to about five minutes, and if the round-announcing bikini girls were removed from the equation, women could really get into the sport more. The same is true for golf.

But back to the topic at hand. While I was watching "The Contender," I saw a commercial for a show that's coming out next week (June 2 premiere) called "Hit Me Baby One More Time." I didn't know what to think at first. I didn't know if it had something to do with Britney Spears (I wouldn't even waste a blog about that) or what. Here it is. In the great tradition we have established in this country of ripping off successful British shows ("The Weakest Link," "American Idol," "Whose Line...?" etc.), comes what is sure to be another knock-out...if you're between the ages of about 23 and 40. I gotta say, I think the audience demographic is a little limited, but we'll see.

What happens is old bands/artists who had a couple of hits (maybe) back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's battle it out for a new chance at stardom. The line-up for the first show is as follows:
-A Flock of Seagulls performing "I Ran"
-Loverboy performing "Everybody's Working for the Weekend"
-Arrested Development performing "Tennessee"
-Tiffany performing "I Think We're Alone Now"

Apparently they also perform a song by a more recent popular artist, presumably to see if they can still cut it in today's music world. I'm a little afraid of this. Arrested Development is doing a song by Los Lonely Boys, who are really bad enough as it is. I can only hope that a cover would be an improvement. And Loverboy will be covering Enrique Iglesias's "Hero," which is way sketchier, but if you don't understand it is at least more bearable in Spanish. Too bad I doubt Loverboy habla Espanol.

I know it sounds like I'm a little wary of "Hit Me Baby One More Time," but really, I can't wait. I think I probably have two sisters who'll be watching with me, and several friends across our great land of reality TV thievery. At least it's something to tape during the summer with Gilmore Girls is in re-runs. Speaking of which, did anybody watch the finale? And if you did, I just have one question. WHAT?

1 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)