Thursday, January 18, 2007

a fine line between gift and curse OR why I am too selfish to have kids

When God created the world, he placed Adam in it to rule over the land and the animals and all that, and it was a perfect paradise that, from my understanding, maintained itself, but when sin entered the world, all of that changed. Adam had to work the land to provide food for himself, and things got a lot messier in general.

When God created Eve, she was a gift to Adam, and he was a gift to her. They lived in a perfect relationship with one another and with God, and their desire was for Him. But then that pesky sin thing happened and again, the blessing became a curse. Eve's desire would be for her husband, and he would rule over her, and this really doesn't make anybody happy at all.

Such is sin, and this really wasn't intended to sound like such a serious post at all, but it's what I've been thinking about on this snow day. That's right. I said SNOW DAY!!

The radio comes on to gently rouse me each day, and I lash out against it, hitting the snooze button for at least an hour before dragging myself to the shower. But this morning, it came on just in time for me to hear (and I was luckily just conscious enough to hear) that Wake Tech would be closed due to the inclement weather. Oh joy!! I called my boss to verify that I wasn't just dreaming, and she confirmed and told me to go back to bed, which I did without protest.

Now, if there is one thing I know how to do well, it's take a day off. I'm just not one of those women (God love 'em) who is addicted to busyness or who finds worth in all the things she does. We've already established that my deadly sin would be sloth, and there's the twist. I have this gift of being able to stop and just be. And I really do consider it a gift. Give me a day off, and I will relish it. I really know how to enjoy my down time. But take it one step too far, and I'm a lazy bum.

I'm not a lazy bum. I actually like working as long as I get to do the work I love doing (the work that doesn't feel like work) on my own schedule. Thus my dream of working from home in my pj's. What I realized this morning, though, is that this lifestyle to which I would like to become accustomed is not so much conducive to having kids (not that I'm in ANY hurry to do that). When I called my boss, her three-year-old triplets were easily audible in the background, and when I hung up to go back to sleep, I thought, "I'm SO glad I don't have kids."

I'm far to selfish for them, mostly because they wake you up, and I don't like to be woken up. Yet another reason why Donald Miller and I would get on so famously. You hear that, Don? I would never call you lazy or tell you not to sleep in.

I realize that this has been rather a scattered post, but that's what happens when the thoughts come directly to you before they are fully formed and processed. And just to make you all terribly jealous, here's what I did today:

7:00 Woke up and realized I didn't have to go to work. Called Robin to confirm. Rejoiced greatly.
7:15 Heard Brooke leaving the apartment. Wondered where she was going.
7:30 Couldn't go back to sleep from excitement of not having to get up. Talked to Whitney.
7:45 Brooke came home, having realized that she too had the day off.
7:50 Went to store to purchase pancake ingredients (including chocolate chips and walnuts) and bacon.
8:15 Fried up a delicious breakfast. Watched "Elf."
10:30 Fell asleep on couch.
1:30 Woke up. Took shower.
3:00 Decided to do laundry later. Read e-mail.
4:00 Blogged.

It's a good day, friends. A good day indeed.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)