Friday, October 14, 2005

there are no words...well I guess there are

I'd like to direct your attention first of all to the comments left on the previous post. "Adult Personals" likes my site! Yessssssssssss! That's totally what I was going for.

Second, I'm very sorry that those of you who can't come to my "party" can't come. But I'm very excited that those of you can can (if you can, can-can). I'll see you tonight.

Ok, down to business. My roommate always finds the most interesting things on TV, and the best part is that they're always either on the Food network, the TV Guide channel or UNCTV, which, for those of you who don't live here, is like PBS. One night, I came home to watch a program about modern day engineers and inventors who were attempting to build the inventions of Leonardo DaVinci that he never built himself but only drew. They made a hang glider and a giant crossbow. The glider worked beautifully and utilized a design that most people had previously believed to be a 20th century one. The crossbow broke, but I think it was the builders' fault because they didn't follow the blueprint exactly, and they didn't finish in time to stretch the wood properly so that it could withstand all the bending. Anywho, DaVinci=genius.

The other night, we watched a very informative program about gum, and then we found out how to make the perfect waffles (sidenote: Nike tennis shoes were invented by pouring rubber into a waffle iron and gluing the result onto the bottom of ordinary shoes).


But last night... oh last night. Man. UNCTV gave us an education not to be soon forgotten. The geoduck (pronounced "gooey duck") is a shellfish found in the Pacific northwest, mostly in Puget Sound from what I gathered. It's actually a type of clam that has two valves. It takes water into one, filters it, and squirts it out the other. Both valves have their openings in the geoduck's "mouth," which protrudes from the surface of the sand during low tide. The geoduck is apparently quite tasty and in high demand, costing up to $10 a pound in the Seattle area and up to $100 a plate in China, where they are more scarce. Approximately 2,000 pounds of geoduck are flown to China every day. They like it that much.

It is also the mascot of a local college. They had their reasons, but don't ask me what they were. It was a weird-sounding college. The proof is in the fight song:

Go, Geoducks go,
Through the mud and the sand,let's go.
Siphon high, squirt it out,swivel all about,
Let it all hang out.
Go, Geoducks go,
Stretch your necks when the tide is low
Siphon high, squirt it out,swivel all about,
Let it all hang out.

I would just like to end by re-emphasizing the fact that they eat this. The love it. They write songs about it. The chorus to one is as follows. Try to say it three times fast. Just try it. I dare you.

Dig a duck, dig a duck, dig a geoduck, dig a duck, dig a geoduck, dig a duck a day.

6 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)